Thursday, March 12, 2009

Business History

I should and want to thank my sister, Colleen for helping me along the way of my small business adventure. She was the one who helped purchase my first high quality camera and on top of that trusted me to film her very own wedding. At that point I was just happy I was going to be able to gain experience. It turned out surprisingly well considering I was a part of the wedding and was not personally able to film the ceremony. I edited it in my own creative and unique way then created a very nice custom DVD case. She is still helping me today by researching sample contracts and learning about how to obtain a business license when that should be my job.
It was my best friend, John who then did the advertising for my second wedding. His older sister was getting married soon so he decided to throw my name in there. It worked and before I knew it I was showing John's sister Colleen's wedding video. She must have loved it because I received a phone call from her a couple days later asking if I would be able to film her wedding. I humbly agreed. She then went on to tell me she was going to pay me for doing this. I did not expect this at all. I believe this is when the business started. I officially had two weddings under my belt and was hungry for more. This is when I contacted my other good friend, Collin. I was aware he was very interested in video editing and also was equipped with a high quality camera as well. He agreed to go into business with me. I do not think it was a very hard decision for him, he did not have to invest or make huge sacrifices. I feel like investing a lot of money and making sacrifices is the norm these days when starting a new business. Not for us.
We become more excited everyday.
Right now we are in the middle of creating a contract. One of our clients actually asked to draft one for us which is very nice of her. We greatly appreciate that. I am currently putting together another sample video which will include parts from both the weddings I mentioned earlier. I hope to complete that over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment