Monday, October 4, 2010

Canon 60D Review Hands On - Simple to the point review

Just recently, I upgraded from (my stolen camera) to the Canon 60D HDSLR. It is an amazing camera that can shoot 18 megapixel stills as well as (the primary reason I purchased it) 1080p Full HD video at 30 and 24 fps as well as 720p at 60fps.
Here is a video I shot in 1080 24p with a little color correction using the GlideCam 2000.

Canon 60D from Joe Watts on Vimeo.



Ok, so lets get down to business. This camera simply takes as good or better video than the Canon Rebel t2i and Canon 7D. The Canon 60D fits nicely in between these two cameras as far as size and features go.
The biggest features the 60D has to offer is the swivel out LCD screen. It makes taking video from different angles so much easier. Also, the manual audio control can be helpful when not using an external mic system.
The price is very generous and like I said it fits nicely between those cameras.
Body only prices
t2i - 900
60D - 1099
7D - 1600

Bottom line,
If you are doing more video, go with the Canon 60D - swivel lcd plays a big role
If you are taking more stills, especially sports and movement - Canon 7D - 8fps burst mode and more options for auto focus
If you are on a tight budget but still want that amazing HD quality video - t2i - lacks in photography features but makes up with the video

The overheating issue.
I had to add this to the review since a lot of people are becoming concerned with the overheating issues of the t2i and 7D.
From my own experience with the 60D - I shot some footage of the football game at wcu this past Saturday. Basically just getting clips here and there and not letting the camera record for more than 1 minute at a time. The weather was in the 70s with the sun beaming down all day. I was outside for at least 4 hours taking video giving my camera a little rest at half time. I encountered zero problems the entire day. I also read on a forum that there was no over heating of the camera on a 2 hour shoot. Don't know the exact usage of the camera but it looks pretty promising that Canon did something to help with the issue. The materials the camera is made out of was totally different from the 7D and t2i. They may have done that on purpose.

As for now, only owning the video for a couple days now, I don't regret anything.
I'll keep you updated, especially after we finally do a wedding. (60D, 7D and Panasonic HPX wedding shoot coming up in Dec)
Post a comment if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment